- Speed Optimisation, SEO & Development
Contract: Active (Since 2016)
Niche: Jewellery Company
Store running: Magento 1
01. It would take over 10 seconds to load a page, as you know yourself – you only have a few seconds to grab someone’s attention before they jump ship to a competitor.
02. The scripting language was over ploughed and wasn’t correctly reference or optimised for speed. This was mainly due to some scripting becoming redundant or not correctly formatted and equally a similar issue with the non-redundant scripting. All this would mean that if you wanted to look at a product or category page – you would have to download 4/5mb first.
03. Generally on websites of today, you would utilise what they call Web Caching, this basically allows for the common elements that make up a page to have a temporary storage space on the server, allowing for faster page delivery and reduces server lag. There caching was poorly organised, and was only used on file level basis. This in turn raised their average server load to an unexpected high.
04. There was also an intensive cron* job happening when Waxing Poetic online store would be at their busiest. This effected client use and their PPC (pay per click) campaigns.
*Cron jobs are used for regular scheduled server tasks.
05. And finally, their database queries were painfully slow.
01. Caching on server level through Varnish (HTTP accelerator, content cached directly in RAM)
02. Load balancer to split backend activities from the frontend store traffic
03. NFS (network file storage) to store media files and static content
04. Redis for session storage
05. Database replication
06. Webnode 1 and webnode 2 for storefront, webnode 3 for application backend
- The new server setup was capable to handle 100 concurrent users smoothly
- Checkout was 3 times faster
- Product and Category pages were down to 3 seconds and under
- Heavy backend activity from their store staff was no longer an issue
- Image optimisation: reducing their size, but keeping their quality.
New Relic - Complex monitoring tool
AWS route54 - AWS based name server hosting
Linode - Scalable cloud hosting
Ubuntu - LEMP stack
Varnish - HTTP accelerator and reverse proxy server
Bitbucket - Code repository
Git - Distributed version control system
MAXcdn - Content delivery network
Gattling - Stress test tool
Google Analytics - Traffic analyser
Magento 1 - eCommerce platform
to flush CDN content directly from Magento backend
Varnish flush module
to flush single CMS pages from Varnish cache
Cookie warmer module
to utilize better cache performance with Varnish cache